The list of available projects are depicted below. Early applications increase the chances of being considered. Projects are valid for fall 2018 as well.
Industrial internship (possible Master project)
- Cruise-ship energy system design and optimization under uncertainty
- Energy optimisation in process industry – INEOS (1-3 projects available)
- Regional case studies for the exploitation of the Swiss bioenergy potential
Energy efficiency in industrial processes
- collaboration with industrial partners : Lenzing (AT), Fish production (ES)
- Recycling or not ? what are the best strategies for municipal and industrial waste management
- collecting- sorting- recycling or not – integration with district heating
- collaboration with SATOM- UTO
Waste water treatment plants integration in the energy system
- Efficiency, biogas, fuel cells, electrolysis and district heating analysis
Can industrial boilers be replaced by biofuel production plants ?
- cogenerating heat and biofuels and store electricity
Process design of a bio product production process
- from labs to industrial process
- collaboration with a start up company
Membrane for gas separation
- Industrial membrane system design for gas separation
- Application for biogas purification and CO2 capture
Can we use NH3 as a fuel in ships ?
- NH3 is an alternative carrier of energy
- NH3 is produced from renewable energy resources
- The goal is to study the on-shore and on-board conversion system
What is the role of the Rhone river for heating and cooling in Sion ?
- collaboration with ESR
Options for integrating ORC-ORC systems for electricity storage on CO2 network and other district heating systems
- collaboration with Mann turbo
On the use of CO2 network in tropical cities
- Study on how CO2 network can be used to supply cold in tropical cities (Singapore)
Using CO2 in deep geothermal applications and in cities
- CO2 to cogenerate heat and electricity for cities
Integration of renewable energy sources in eco-districts
- smart grid solutions with Romande Energie
Methodology to apply exergy in eco-district development
- collaboration with IMPLENIA & EXERGO
Can Switzerland meet the COP21 targets ?
- Developing the carbon flows model for the Swiss energy system
- what are the inputs and outputs of carbon flows in the swiss energy systems ?
- what about grey energy and grey CO2 emissions ?
Can Europe be 100% renewable ?
- developing the EU Energyscope model
- regionalising the model
- Scenarios for district heating deployment in European countries
Students interested in doing a (semester or master) project in IPESE can send a cv and a motivation letter to StudentProjectsIPESE.